You can apply for a Short-term study visa to study English language in the UK.  This visa is for English language courses lasting longer than 6 months and up to 11 months. If your course is different to this, check which visa you may need

Healthcare Surcharge

You’ll also have to pay the healthcare surcharge as part of your online application. It usually costs £470. This is so you can use the National Health Service (NHS) in the UK.

Check how much you’ll need to pay before you apply.

Prohibited activities:

You cannot:

  • study a course that lasts longer than 11 months
  • study on any other course or change your course while in the UK
  • make the UK your main home – for example by using the route to live in the UK for extended periods through frequent or successive periods as a short-term student
  • take employment, become self-employed, or undertake any business activity
  • switch to another visa category
  • bring dependants with you on this visa
  • You will not be permitted to access public funds during your stay in the UK.  'Public funds' are defined in paragraph 6 of the Immigration Rules as a list of specific benefits available. As you will be unable to work during your stay in the UK, you must demonstrate that you have sufficient funds to maintain and support yourself without having to claim any of these benefits also

Documents required for your application:

  • A current passport (with a blank page for your visa) or other valid travel document
  • Evidence that you can support yourself during your trip, for example bank statements or payslips for the last 6 months
  • Details of where you intend to stay and your travel plans - you should not pay for accommodation or travel until you get your visa
  • Evidence that you’ve paid your course fees or have enough money to pay them
  • Your tuberculosis (TB) test results, if you’re from a country where you have to take the TB test
  • Contact details for at least one parent or guardian in your home country, if you’re under 18 years old
  • A certified translation if any documents are not in English or Welsh
  • You must provide written proof of the course you’re studying - For example, a letter of acceptance from the educational institution stating the course’s name, duration and cost (including accommodation).
  • Evidence of permission to be in the country you’re applying from, if you’re not a national of that country.
  • Financial sponsor’s occupation, income, savings or funds that will support your studies
  • If you’re under 18 you will need to provide additional documents.